Sunday, April 29, 2012

Bosphorus Boat Cruise

One time some Turkish school girls interviewed me outside of Aya Sofia for a school project and they asked me what my favorite thing about Istanbul is. Without skipping a beat, I answered the Bosphorus. (This was followed by snickers on their end. I'm still not 100% why, but probably something like you crazy American).

I am mesmerized by the water and every day it looks different. It is almost like it is living with a new looks for every day, season and weather.

One of the best ways to enjoy the Bosphorus is a sunny day on a boat cruise. Tourists can take an easy cruise using the public ferry's Nostalgic Bosphorus Cruise (info can be found here) - there are both short options that take about 2 hrs and go from Eminonu to the second bridge and back OR a 6 hr option that goes almost to the Black Sea with a stop in Asian for lunch.

This weekend, for a friend's last weekend in town, we did our own boat cruise - complete with a stop for taking a dip in the water.

 We took off from Arnavutkoy, one of my favorite neighborhoods in Istanbul.  Reminds me a bit of San Fran with narrow wooden houses and hills with winding roads right on the water.


 Uskudar pier with the ferry boats, boats and more boats


 Paul decided to jump in to the Bosphorus - the verdict? It was freezing.  Duh.





No comments:

Post a Comment